Important reflections from an adoptive dad who has been transformed on the journey–and is thankful. Welcome, Donald Craig Peterson.
It’s that time of year – to reflect and be thankful. As the 20th year of my parenting journey begins, here are 20 things I have learned.
- Like nearly all parents, I know my children best – even when not using fancy words or technical jargon.
- I care deeply about my children – as I have seen in countless moms, dads, grandparents, step-parents and other caregivers.
- I’m not a perfect parent. Yet I’ve grown stronger from my mistakes.
- Eventually, I learned to be on own worst critic – because I could become a better parent by listening. First to my children and then to others. While my children are unique, their challenges are strikingly similar to thousands of other children.
- Adoption is trauma. My children had a life before they came to me. So many unanswered questions for them. How easily people forget!
- Triggers are real. They can easily…
View original post 469 more words